The Alcor Life Extension Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit scientific and research organization, currently has an immediate opening for a Technical Coordinator at our Scottsdale, Arizona, facility. The Technical Coordinator is responsible for maintaining and operating equipment necessary to perform cryopreservation of humans in the field of cryonics. Cryonics is the experimental practice of using ultra-cold temperatures to preserve human life in a state that may be recoverable by future medicine. For four decades Alcor has developed and implemented innovative techniques in the field of cryonics. These techniques involve a combination of experimental interventions and conventional medical skills.
At Alcor, we believe that intelligence, memories, and personality are determined primarily by the structure and chemistry of the human brain. Our aim is to preserve the brain and the unique identity within it so that advanced future medical technology might be able to restore the individual to good health. For more information about cryonics and Alcor please see our website at http://www.alcor.org.
The Technical Coordinator will be responsible for the development, operation, and maintenance of equipment and infrastructure required to perform human cryopreservation and related research at Alcor’s cryopreservation facility in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Specialized and custom-built equipment used by Alcor includes:
* Cardiopulmonary and cryoprotectant perfusion systems.
* Temperature-controlled vapor circulation systems.
* Automated data acquisition and process control systems.
* Cryogenic dewars and liquid nitrogen handling systems.
* Chemical handling and mixing equipment.
The Technical Coordinator will work with Alcor’s Research Fellow, Equipment Fabricator, and external Research and Development Committee to maintain and improve existing procedures and equipment, and to design, construct, test, and validate new equipment and procedures. The Technical Coordinator will report to Alcor’s Executive Director.
The person we are looking for will be innovative, self-motivating, and creative with excellent communication skills. The Technical Coordinator must be able to rapidly learn essential aspects of a highly complex and challenging field, with limited supervision during the learning period. The Technical Coordinator must be comfortable functioning in a medical/surgical environment, and with handling of cryonics patients at ambient and cryogenic temperatures. Most of all, the individual must share our vision that cryonics patients require the same conscientious dedication to patient welfare as conventional medicine, even though cryonics procedures are still experimental.
This is an exciting opportunity to participate at the frontiers of current scientific knowledge in the hope that cryopreservation of human beings will enable future resuscitation by radically advanced medicine. You will be part of one of the most difficult and ambitious technological endeavors ever pursued.
1. Maintain, specify, procure or construct equipment as necessary for cryopreservation and long-term storage of cryonics patients.
2. Operate equipment used during cryonics cases, and eventually train others to do so.
3. Mix and package chemical solutions used during cryonics cases.
4. Identify and evaluate new engineering developments and gauge applicability to existing processes.
5. Maintain current working knowledge of perfusion engineering, data acquisition systems, and cryogenic engineering as applicable to Alcor’s needs.
6. Participate with management, technical staff, and external advisors in planning short and long-term technology strategies.
7. Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies, including but not limited to OSHA, EPA, DEA, USDA, DEQ and the local Fire Marshal.
* Good communication skills.
* Degree in science or engineering.
* Basic electronics knowledge, basic knowledge of chemistry and workshop skills are essential.
* Prior interest and knowledge of cryonics is desirable.
* Knowledge of computer data acquisition and control systems is desirable.
* Knowledge of organ perfusion systems or cardiopulmonary bypass is desirable.
* Experience in biomedical research or engineering is a plus.
Alcor recognizes that the ideal skill set and background knowledge sought for this position may be impossible to find in a single individual, and will therefore be flexible in considering applicants who may lack some of the above qualifications.
Alcor offers a comprehensive benefits package. Employees must reside in the greater Phoenix area, or be willing to relocate to Phoenix (we may assist with relocation expenses). Qualified applicants should email their resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter describing their interest and attitude toward cryonics to Jennifer Chapman (email@example.com).