The Comprehensive Member Standby (CMS) fund enables Alcor to provide standby, stabilization, and transport services to all members in the United States and Canada. This is a critical part of the cryopreservation process. See: http://alcor.org/BecomeMember/standby.html
The CMS has been funded by a fee of $180 per year. At the September 13, 2014 board meeting, the Board unanimously voted in favor of the president’s proposal to waive the CMS fee for all members who have at least $20,000 in funding above current cryopreservation minimums.
Here is the motion that passed:
This is a Motion to create a new, optional CMS (Comprehensive Member Standby) payment mechanism:
1) Alcor will make available a new option on Attachment 1 to the Cryopreservation Agreement that will allow members to meet their obligation to make regular CMS payments by increasing their cryopreservation funding.
2) If a member selects this new option:
a) The member’s cryopreservation funding minimum will be increased by $20,000.
b) The member will not be required to pay regular CMS fees.
c) Upon the member’s cryopreservation an additional $20,000 will be paid from their cryopreservation fund to the CMS Fund.
3) Any member whose funding meets Alcor’s current minimum requirements (including all applicable surcharges) can revise their membership agreement and select this new option at any time they so choose.
4) Following a 90 day reconsideration period, a member’s selection of this new option cannot be reversed and will become permanent.
5) Existing allocations to CMS are unchanged, as are other allocations to other funds, and all other fees and payments.
6. The board will review the impact of this motion annually to determine if any further changes are needed.